Monday 14 July 2008

Drying your own tomatoes

I had a go at drying some tomatoes in my oven. It worked extremely well and I now have a container in the freezer with 'sundried' tomatoes in.

I used small tomatoes and I cut them in half. Laid them on a pizza baking tray (you could use foil with holes in it to allow the air to circulate. Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt (this helps to dry them out) I put my oven on 50C and opened the door every now and again to let out the steam. It did take most of the day so you need to be doing plenty to make it worthwhile. The tiny cherry tomatoes would probably dry in a few hours. I then decided to freeze them just to make sure they stay fresh. Apparently if you leave moisture in them they can go mouldy so best be safe and freeze.

Photobucket

No comments: